Monday, October 3, 2022

CM Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma visits Silchar, K’ganj

CID to investigate Bethukandi dyke damage case.

Janasanyog, SILCHAR,July 1: State Chief minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma, on Friday, said 90 per cent work related to distribution of relief materials among the flood-hit people of Cachar district had been completed and the rest of the work would be wrapped up in the next couple of days.

Chief Minister Dr Sarma, who visited Silchar third time in the past 10 days to review the flood situation here, told reporters that the process of distribution of relief items had been intensified and 90 per cent of the distribution had already been wrapped up. The rest 10 per cent work will be done in the next two to three days, he said.

He said medical teams are carrying out free health camps in 28 municipal wards of the town for checkup of flood-affected people and free medicines are being given to them if needed. About the post-flood situation, the Chief Minister said it is a matter of relief that the situation in the wake of floods is normal and has not taken assumed the shape of an epidemic.

“The situation is under control now. The Barak river is flowing below its danger level,” the CM said.

He said 13 motor pumps had been pressed into service in Silchar to clear the waterlogged roads and 20 more such machines were being brought from Guwahati for the same.

“Altogether, 33 pumps will be operational to flush out floodwaters from various areas in Silchar and hopefully the waters will be cleared in the next few days”mentioned Dr Sarma.

About the damage caused by flood and about the electricity restoration in Cachar, Chief Minister Dr Sarma said, “an assessment of damage of roads and bridges will be started after July 15.

Talking about the resumption of electric supply,CM ,Dr Sarma said that so far, only 22 transformers in urban silchar still pending for repairing by APDCL and everything else is completed in urban.
Besides, the repair work of 11 DTRs is underway. By Saturday, all the areas in Silchar will have power supply”.

In response to a question related to damage of the embankment of the Barak river in Bethukandi, Dr Sarma said six miscreants had been identified and the CID will investigate the case in collaboration with the state task force (STF). Some more miscreants are likely to identified, he said.

Besides,Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma also inspected the dyke in Bethukandi, visited a relief camp at Gurucharan College and took part at a programme at the Cachar deputy commissioner’s office where he handed over cheques (Rs. 4 lakh each) to the family members of 10 persons
who got drowning death related relief
in Cachar district. 14 more persons’ family members will get the financial assistance from the government, the CM said. He also praised the district administration for tackling the flood crisis judiciously.

Earlier on the day, Chief Minister Dr Sarma visited Karimganj and went to Son Beel, the second largest wetland in Asia and one of the largest lakes in the Northeast. Interacting with newsmen after visiting the beel, The Chief Minister said the government is mulling to develop the beel and a guest house will be set up in that place to develop tourism. The chief minister also said solar panels would be set up in the beel for the beel’s development.

Ministers Jayanta Mallabaruah, Parimal Suklabaidya, MP ,Dr Rajdeep Roy, MLAs Dipayan Chakraborty, Kaushik Rai, Mihir Kanti Shome,Cachar DC Keerthi Jalli were present with the CM in Silchar, while MLAs Krishnendu Paul and Bijoy Malakar were present with him in Karimganj.

Latest Updates

RELATED UPDATES